Tuesday, September 8, 2015

when your in the pit

all scripture referenced in this post is from the New Living Translation Bible unless otherwise noted
I feel like I hear the phrase “I’m in the pit” a lot. Apparently it’s a thing. Lately it's been my thing. I’ve had my share of pit dwelling before but these past few weeks have been particularly hard.  David, the man after God's own heart, is a fellow pit dweller and describes his experience in Psalm 40. I’ve camped on this portion of scripture for the past several days. I love that we can read God's Word again and again and He can breath new life and teach us new things every time. Are you a fellow pit dweller? Ever been in a pit before? You're not alone. 

For troubles surround me- too many to count!My sins pile up so high I can’t see my way out. They outnumber the hairs on my head. I have lost all courage. Please, Lord, rescue me! Come quickly, Lord, and help me” (Ps 40:12). To start, we can find ourselves in a pit for all sorts of reasons... 
we can be thrown into a pit because of our circumstances
someone can throw us in a pit by committing a sin against us 
we can jump right into a pit because of our own sin

Whichever way we end up in the pit the only way out is to “wait patiently for the Lord to help us”. “To wait patiently or intently” doesn't imply idle waiting like when I’m riding a roller coaster gripping the handle bar for dear life, screaming at the top of my lungs (yes, I’m that annoying one), praying the torture will be over as quickly as possible, yet I'm at the mercy of the roller coaster and helpless to put an end to my misery. That’s exactly how I feel when I'm in the pit. I’m holding on for dear life waiting for God to rescue me. I automatically shut down to “survive” mode. In this verse, “to wait patiently or intently” means to wait expectantly. It’s meant to be an active time when our situation turns our hearts and minds to the Lord. We are to be active in the waiting not passive. I don’t believe God wants us to live our lives in survival mode. I think He wants us to participate in the redemptive work He’s doing in our lives.  With God, even in the deepest of pits "your light will shine and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon. The Lord will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength" (Isaiah 58:10-11). What a beautiful promise! He gives us HOPE in the waiting. What does it mean to wait expectantly? What do we do when we’re in the pit? How do we participate with God in our deliverance and healing? 

The first thing we need to do is cry out to God“I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry.  As silly as it may sound, sometimes I think that God can’t handle the truth. Even though I know He already knows my every thought I still have a hard time confessing to Him... 
“God, the hurt is too deep." 
"I can’t do this journey again." 
"I’m weary and tired." 
"I'm heartbroken and beaten down."
"I deserve to be angry over what happen to me"
"I can’t quit that sin that is eroding my life... 
...I’ve tried so many times before and failed." 
"Why won’t you just reach down and deliver me?
Right now!
"Why do I have to wait?” 

One thing I know for sure, our pain has a purpose and our suffering makes sense, even if only from an eternal perspective. It’s not always for us to know the why, so we have to trust the Who. He is big enough to handle our raw emotions. He won’t get His feelings hurt when we’re honest with Him. Truth be told, if we don’t run to God and cry out to Him we’ll run to someone or something else. The problem in doing that is no person or thing can save us. The outcome is that we become angry and bitter, hurt and wounded, and still dwelling in the pit.  Don’t get me wrong. Community and accountability is a gift. God never intends for us to do life on our own. But before telling someone else or trying to get a quick fix we should be at the feet of Jesus. “Oh, the joys of those who trust the Lord, who have no confidence in the proud or in those who worship idols” (v4). People and things cannot rescue us from the pit. Only God. So cry out to Him. He’s big enough.

Next we remember.“O Lord my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. You have no equal. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them (v5).”  Not long ago I was in a deep dark pit of despair. One afternoon I was crying out to God heartbroken over my circumstances. My son Noah had been playing outside and when he came in he handed me a rock. Not terribly unusual for a young boy but it was profoundly significant for me. As Noah placed that rock in my hand I felt in my spirit God saying to me "you remember". When we’re in the pit one of the most important things we can do is remember and praise God for what He’s done for us in the past. Quickly I began writing down all God had done, pages and pages full of His faithfulness to me. (If you're having a difficult time coming up with a list of things God has done for you, all you need to do is celebrate the Cross.)  When we’re in the pit we need to hold up our Ebenezer and say, “Lord you have helped me here… you were faithful there… you delivered me before…” It’s in the remembering that we find the strength and courage to wait expectantly upon the Lord to rescue us from the pit.

When we’re in the pit we need to devour His Word and obey it“I take joy in doing your will, my God, for your instructions are written on my heart”(V8).  No doubt we should be in His Word daily but even more so when we’re in the pit. His Word is the medicine for our soul, the living water in seasons of drought, the light in the darkness, the peace we crave, the compass on our journey, the joy and delight our hearts need. 

“But may all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness in you. (Psalm 40:16)

“Joyful are people of integrity, who follow the instructions of the Lord. 
Joyful are those who obey his laws and search for him with all their hearts.” 
(Psalm 119:1-2)

“I have tried hard to find you—don’t let me wander from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. I praise you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given us. I have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches. I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word.”
(Psalm 119:10-16)

“Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions.” (Psalm 119:18)

“The law of his God is in his heart; his steps do not slip.” (Psalm 37:31 ESV)

"When I discovered your words, I devoured them,
They are my joy and my heart's delight…"
(Jeremiah 15:15)

When I was a young Christian, God revealed something to me that has been extremely powerful in my life. In Exodus 8:9-10, God sends a plague of frogs across the land because Pharaoh refused to let His people go. Can you imagine the sight, the noise, the smell? Yuck! Pharaoh finally came to his senses and wanted to be free of the frogs.  He summoned Moses and Aaron and begged…

“Plead with the Lord to take the frogs away from me and my people. 
I will let your people go, so they can offer sacrifices to the Lord.”

“You set the time!” Moses replied. 
“Tell me when you want me to pray for you, your officials, and your people. 
Then you and your houses will be rid of the frogs. 
They will remain only in the Nile River.”

Do it tomorrow,” Pharaoh said.

Tomorrow. Pharaoh could have been free from the plague in that moment yet he chose to wait another day. I hate to admit how much I relate to Pharaoh here. When God reveals something to me in His Word so often I’ll think, “oh that’s so good, Lord. I'm going to do that after this busy season of life is over. When I'm not so sleep deprived. As soon as we have enough money. When my kids are more independent. As soon as I feel better about myself. When my house is in order"…and on and on. Similar to the million of times I’ve said, “I’ll start that diet in the morning.” Anyone else? We should approach God’s word as it says in James 1:22-25

“But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it.”

Do not put off tomorrow what God is asking you to do today.

Lastly, share your story. “I have told all your people about your justice. I have not been afraid to speak out, as you, O Lord, well know. I have not kept the good news of your justice hidden in my heart; I have talked about your faithfulness and saving power. I have told everyone in the great assembly of your unfailing love and faithfulness (v9-10).”

I’m an introvert who can be painfully shy. I don’t consider my life an open book nor am I comfortable sharing things about my personal life. However, in the past few years, God has been teaching me how important each of our stories are to the Kingdom of God. The truth is we may never know how God will use our testimony to bring hope and healing to others. AND here’s the best part. The part that makes me want to jump for joy, scream from the mountain top, stretch my limits of comfort and break out of my shell.  When we’re brave enough to share the work God is doing in our life, here’s the beautiful promise we find in Psalm 40: 2-3

“He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. 
He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. 
He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. 
Many will see what he has done and be amazed. 
They will put their trust in the Lord.”

David Platt says, “If the gospel [and our testimonies of God’s faithfulness to us in our everyday life] stops with us then we’ve missed the whole point of the gospel.” We often say, “if we can save one person then it’s worth it.’ Of course, that is absolutely true! But sometimes I think we forget that we serve an extraordinary God. I believe He wants us to ask for big, hard, impossible things.

“Impossible is where God starts.”- Christine Caine.

God promises that when we are good stewards of the story He has given us then MANY will see what He has done and THEY WILL PUT THEIR TRUST IN THE LORD.  Let that soak in for a moment.  It’s almost too good to comprehend. I think God wants us to ask for the one and also for the many.  

Finally, if you’re in the pit take heart...“As for me, since I am poor and needy, let the Lord keep me in his thoughts. You are my helper and my savior. O my God, do not delay (v 17). Yes, Lord, do not delay! 

We cannot save ourselves from the pit of despair. We are not smarter than God nor are our plans better than His. He’s never a day early or a day late. He’ll deliver us in His perfect timing.  I don’t know what your pit looks like or how you got there, but I pray your will find solace and hope that in the waiting you can…
 cry out to God
 remember His faithfulness 
 devour and obey His Word 

And when He reaches down and lifts you out of the pit and puts your feet on solid ground, be brave and share your story so that Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord.” Glory! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this powerful truth, Shannon! I love hearing your heart!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete