Monday, September 7, 2015

labor day fun: playing, bouncing, swimming, & eating



First of all, did you know you can freeze caprisuns?

I never knew. I take them outside while the kids play and when it's time for a snack and cool down they become like a refreshing slushy of yummy goodness. Genius! They also make a great supplement for ice in your cooler for a picnic lunch. Life changing! Seriously. If you were like me and didn't know, your welcome :)

Secondly, I just want to mention that I'm not a recipe creator but rather a recipe follower. By that I mean, I don't usually create original recipes but I can follow directions really well. I want 'heart of our home' to be a place where I can share my favorite recipes and the memories I have attached to each one. I like to adjust recipes, here and there, to better fit my family and our taste buds. But to be clear, nearly every recipe I post comes from a different source (which, or course, I will reference). 

Now to the best part and the reason for this post... Food and Labor Day. This Labor Day we're finishing up a massive garage sale we had over the weekend. My husband blew up the bounce house and our kiddy pool so the kids could play while we finished sorting and selling. Not my favorite way to spend a holiday weekend, however, I am making one of our favorite meals tonight. Mini-burgers! It's the perfect way to say good-bye to summer and hello to a new season.  We love grilling but sadly our grill broke several months ago. I found  a recipe by The Pioneer Woman  where she cooks her hamburgers in the oven. Brilliant! I started cooking them this way and never looked back. I slightly modified her original recipe, but both are equally delicious. 


Bennett's motto: will work for food. 
Noah's motto: smell everything first (just like daddy) 

Oven Mini-Burgers

Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef
2 TB heavy whipping cream
2 TB Worcestershire sauce (less if you prefer)
1 Pkg of center cut bacon
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

8 whole dinner (or slider) rolls, split/ ( hawaiian rolls are especially yummy but any kind of hamburger or roll will be perfect. You can even substitute lettuce for a bun, if that's your thing.  I prefer good old fashion carbs.)

Preparation:
  • Mix the ground beef, heavy cream, Worcestershire, season salt, kosher salt and some pepper in a bowl.
  • Use your hands to thoroughly mix the ingredients.
  • Form into small-to-medium sized balls 
  • Cut slices of bacon in half lengthwise
  • Wrap one half around hamburger, pulling slightly to keep the bacon tight
  • Repeat with the other half of the bacon
  • Place patties, bacon seam side down, on a baking pan with a drip tray sprayed with nonstick cooking spray
  • Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes until firm
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Bake for 35-45 mins ( I tend to cook for closer to an hour because I like my bacon a little crisp and my meat well done)
  • Remove from oven and add your favorite hamburger topping/condiments
You may never cook hamburgers on the grill again. I'm also making my Aunt VIcki's delicious broccoli salad. It was one of the handful of things I knew how to make when I got married. So we ate it alot. Like a lot. Good thing it's so tasty. 

Broccoli Salad
1/2 package shredded broccoli and carrots (I use the broccoli and carrot slaw in a bag)
fresh broccoli spears but in bite size pieces (2 cups)
1/2 cup cooked bacon- chopped in bite size pieces (I go pretty heavy on the bacon. I use more like a cup to a cup and a half)
3/4 raisins
1/2 sunflower seeds
coleslaw dressing to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Mix together and enjoy! 


Have I mentioned that I love original recipes? 
Even if it's printed from my computer over ten years ago. 
What are you eating this Holiday weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment