Thursday, January 14, 2016

our wedding day

photo credit: Carter Photography Mount Pleasant Texas

This past summer my husband and I celebrated a decade of marriage.  Now, that may be small potatoes compared to many of you reading this, but a decade felt like a big deal…. something worth celebrating!

So we did. We celebrated by remembering. Everything from our first fight as a married couple was over toilet paper. We couldn’t agree on where to squeeze the toothpaste tube and how to fold towels (you know, the important stuff)…to some of our greatest adventures…like as newlyweds God moved us 1500 miles away from everyone and everything we knew and loved to a place where it snows more often then not…when strangers became family…we learned how to navigate blizzards, icy roads, graduate school and full time ministry…when we walked through each other’s tender places of insecurity, addiction, mental illness and our desperate need for the approval of others…and even our broken places of bitterness, resentment, shame, loneliness, and loss…when God taught us to bring those things to the cross and give each other the best gift two people can give one another, forgiveness and grace. And, of course, we celebrated the best product of our marriage…our four beautiful children.

All of it a record of God’s faithfulness to us on our journey. We all know relationships are hard and they require work and intentionality. I love that our God is relational. That He gives us earthly relationships to give us a tiny glimpse into His perfect, eternal, unconditional love for us.

Just think about that for a moment…the God of the universe, the creator of all things loves you… desires you… is pursing you!

We see how marriage, in particular, parallels perfectly with the kind of relationship the LORD longs to have with us… by looking at the first married couple, Adam and Eve. In Genesis, after God created Adam He said, “it is not good for man to be alone.” Aren’t you so thankful for that truth? That we can know and trust in the promises of God’s Word that He is always with us (Ps 118:6), He is always for us (Romans 8:31), He will never abandon or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5).

“It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; 
He will not leave you nor forsake you. 
(Deuteronomy 31:8)

In fact, His very name is Emmanuel, which means God is with us (Matthew 1:23). What hope and peace we gain by knowing that no matter what mountain we face or circumstances that come our way He is with us!

So from the very side of Adam, God created a helper…a woman, his wife, Eve. As children of God we too have a Helper.

“Behold God is my HELPER; 
the Lord is the upholder of my life.” 
(Psalm 54:4)

“So we can say with confidence, 
“the Lord is my HELPER, so I will not fear… 
(Hebrews 13:6)

“God is our refuge and strength, 
always ready to HELP in times of trouble. 
(Psalm 46:1)

If that wasn’t already good, God showed me something really profound. What separates marriage from any other relationship is intimacy. There is nothing on earth more sacred than the intimacy shared between a husband and his wife.  And that’s what God desires with us… intimacy.

In John 21, after Jesus’ death and resurrection before ascending into Heaven, He speaks with His disciples and to Peter He asks, in verse 15, “Simon son of John, do you love me more that these? “Yes, Lord,” Peter replies, “you know I love you.” Three times in all Jesus asks the same question. In the original Greek language, Jesus’ use of the word love is different than Peters. In essence, Jesus is asking Peter, “Do you love me deeply? Are you fond of me? Are you content with me and me alone? Peter replies, “Yes, Lord, I love you… as a friend. I’m familiar with you. I think kindly of you.” You see, God wants true, authentic, intimacy with us. He showed me why intimacy with Him is so important.

As Will and I looked through our wedding album on our anniversary, remembering that day of celebration and commitment, I was taken back by the image of a young couple… starting a new life together, beginning a new journey… making a covenant to each other and to God in front of everyone we love and yet we had no idea what we were really saying yes to. Sometimes being naïve is a blessing.  In fact, if God had revealed to us our journey (even to this point), I’m not sure either one of us would of shown up that day to say “I do”. But, of course, because of His perfect sovereignty and gentle provision He didn’t. And isn’t that true about our personal relationship with the Lord? When each of us, as it says in Romans 10:9, “confess with our mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in our hearts that God raised Him from the dead” we entered into a covenant relationship with God.  Honestly, there have been times in my marriage when I thought, “I did not sign up for this.” But actually I did because I made a promise to my husband and to God. And the same has been true about my personal relationship with the Lord. There have been seasons in my life when I’ve been “perplexed, hard pressed on every side (NLT), afflicted in every way (ESV). When I’ve said to God, “this is too much! This is too hard!” I’ve wanted to wave the white flag and walk away, but I made a promise to God.

The world’s view of commitment is drastically different than Gods. Today, we view commitment much like trying on clothes in the dressing room at a department store. We’re only willing to commit if there’s a “return policy”. So we think, “sure I’ll try it on for a while, see if it fits into the lifestyle I desire.  See if it’s comfortable and the popular thing. But as soon as it becomes uncomfortable (which it will), confrontational, offensive, unpopular and no longer fits into our life style, we are ready and willing to exchange it for something or someone more suitable for our happiness and convenience.

What a life from the enemy!!! God never goes “out of style”. By that I mean, God and His Word is always relevant to the times…


consistent
reliable
trustworthy 



 God is clear in His Word that He made a covenant with you and with me and He will not break it. In Matthew 26:26-28, during the Last Supper Jesus takes the cup of wine and gives thanks to God. He gives it to His disciples and said, “Each of you drink from it, for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and His people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many.” And Isaiah 59:21 says, “this is my covenant with them,” says the Lord, “My Spirit will not leave them, neither will these words I have given you. They will be on your lips and on the lips of your children and your children’s children… forever ”

That’s why intimacy with God is so important because when we know Him intimately then (and only then) can we truly trust Him. And it’s that trust that gives us the strength to get through the hard, the difficult, the messy and even the ugly circumstances we endure in life.

So, can we say to the Lord, 
“I’m committed to you...
For rich or for poor
For better or for worse
In sickness and in health
I will love and cherish you all the days of my life?” 

And here’s the beautiful exception to those earthly traditional vows, 
with God  it’s not “until death do us part”, but it’s for eternity!


Marriage is hard. Relationships are hard. Life is really hard! But God uses all of it to transform us. Transformation is rarely easy and usually painful but it produces something really beautiful. When we surrender to the redemptive work God is doing in our life and trust Him, we have the opportunity to reflect to the world the greatest love story… Jesus.






I wanted to end by sharing something personal. This is a picture of my husband on our wedding day, next to the man who mentored him and married us. But that’s not why I love this picture so much. I love it because it’s a beautiful foreshadowing we celebrate as children of God. By beloved sisters, we are the bride of Christ and our wedding day is approaching! Scripture is clear that is He coming again to take us to Himself. We will be ushered into the presence God. Wherever He is we will also be for eternity. What joy! So we wait with great anticipation for the day when we will be united with our Bridegroom. Until then, will we remain faithful and trust Him? And can we say with all the redeemed of the Lord, “Come, Lord Jesus, Come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment